<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Many Things Thursday

Mr. Teacher blogs over at Learn Me Good. He likes to tell people that he has forty children, all with different mothers, and this week he's hosting The Carnival of Education.

Get over there NOW and see what's going on in the world of Education. Remember, if you don't keep up, you forfeit all whining rights.

It's summer now, and your kids might become bored at some point. Fear not. Just sign up for Steve Spangler's Experiment of the Week, and your kids will not only have plenty to do, they'll get smarter! It's free and it's fun. Go for it.

It's Wednesday and it didn't rain today! Not at all! Not even a drop! This sunny day was obviously some freak of nature, as it went against the trend of violent gushing thunderstorms that have been the norm so far this summer.

Interstate highways are dissolving, or breaking apart and floating away. If you want to get from Indianapolis to any place down here, you'd better pack a lunch because it's going to take a while. On the plus side, you'll get to drive on a little road and go through several small towns! You'll get to actually SEE SOMETHING! On the minus side, you'll have to drive on a little road and go through several small towns.

A few days ago, the college students were kayaking down Kirkwood Avenue and swimming shoulder-deep in the middle of campus. Today, the water was gone and traffic was back to normal in town. However, I've seen the forecast for the rest of this century week, so we'd best not put away those kayaks and inner tubes just yet.

Belle sent flood pics.

I'm glad my house is on a rise.

I managed to get some grass cut this evening, too! I didn't finish, because I haven't figured out how to turn on the mower's headlights yet - we've only had this mower for ten years or so - and when it got too dark to see, I had to quit.

Another strange sight tonight was the moon! I hadn't seen it for weeks! It had a big ring around it so guess what, but still. The moon! No stars, but the moon was up there. It was like seeing an old friend. An old friend bearing bad news and spewing omens, but an old friend nonetheless.

This is the first week of summer session and so far, so good. I did have a student who asked to borrow a pencil and a sheet of paper, but from the looks on the faces of the other students, I think I'll probably be able to rely on peer pressure to straighten the kid out.

It's humid as a swamp and hotter than the surface of Mercury and you can actually see the air shimmering, much like a desert oasis. And, naturally, our air conditioning isn't working. Why should it? I mean, we NEED it, so of course it shuts down.

I drove the mower under a walnut tree that is covered with wild grapevines, and it was so dusky I couldn't see exactly where they were, so I drove right straight into them. Little pieces of woody vine are falling down my shirt as I type; I just touched my hair and apparently I'm woodier than a. . . . Okay, so not going there.

Off to the showers with me.

I was going to compare my situation with that of Baucis and Philemon. What were YOU thinking?

I love mythology. Baucis and Philemon have so many elements that carried over into the Christian church: water into wine, entertaining gods (angels) unaware, Great Flood, destroying the population because they were all evil, sparing two who showed kindness, telling them not to look back. . . and when Paul and Barnabas began their discipleship journeys, people thought they were Zeus and Hermes, because it was they who visited Baucis and Philemon and did all those things in their home.

Do I digress? Well, YEAH. Thass what I do.





Digg!
Posted by Mamacita (The REAL one) @ 10:26 PM | |

>




I am Mamacita. Accept no substitutes! Hitting the fan like no one else can. . .
I'm Speaking at BlogHer 08 Archives Links

My Classical Blogroll

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Mamacita3855. Make your own badge here.


Credits Powered by Blogger

Designed by Swank Web Style
< <






Rings


Honors Blogrolling.com Hot 500

















Etc.


Lijit Search/a> < BlogHer.org Logo





FBorFW.com





Listed Subscribe with Bloglines

View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
BlogMad!





Listed on BlogShares

BlogBurst.com

DIARIST.NET Registered!


Technorati Tags:

Technorati search





Free Hit Counter

google2413ae3f872b0ce0.html