<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 06, 2008

An Oven Full Of Quotatious Pie


On a beautiful sunny Sunday such as today, one's thoughts really ought to be turning to proper, serious, classical things, such as opera, or political debate, or baking a pecan pie for our visiting children, or religion, or ballet. . .

Speaking of which:



The pecan pie is in the oven as I type, and I did think some serious political thoughts for a few minutes. They were about how one candidate always seems to be having a bad hair day, and how another seems to have his very own Rasputin, and how another might be a viable choice if not for his truly horrible morning radio show, but I still call them "political thoughts."

Also? I don't care for pecan pie, myself. I make them for other people.

I don't really like any kind of pie. I just like to make them.

Today's quotes:

Where brains are what you need, force will not succeed. - Yiddish proverb

Whom the gods would make bigots, they first deprive of humor. --James M. Gilles

To destroy the Western tradition of independent thought, it is not necessary to burn the books. All we have to do is to leave them unread for a couple of generations. --Robert Maynard Hutchins

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. --Thomas Paine

Behavior is a mirror in which everyone displays his image. ---Goethe

Well, my husband and I would have enjoyed being Southern Baptists, but we decided we just weren't physically equal to it. --Anon.

I am inclined to judge a belief quite differently, according to whether it asks the right to be one or insists on being the only one. --Jean Rostand

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it. --Groucho Marx

The illusions of childhood are necessary experiences. A child should not be denied a balloon because an adult knows that sooner or later it will break. --Marceline Cox

Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good; try to use ordinary circumstances. -Jean Paul Richter

Reporter: Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Western civilization?
Ghandi: I think it would be a very good idea.

If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoing a committee on snakes. --Ross Perot

I love cats because I enjoy my home, and little by little, they become its visible soul. --Jean Cocteau

A bird is a bird, a dog is a dog, but a cat is a person. -- Mugsy Peabody

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. --Michael Redgrave

You can't use tact with a congressman. A congressman is a hog. You must take a stick and hit him on the snout. --Henry Adams

Our character is but the stamp on our souls of the free choices of good and evil we have made through life. --John Cunningham Geikie

The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. --Andy Rooney

He and I once had an office so tiny that an inch smaller and it would have been adultery.
--Dorothy Parker

The artist brings something into the world that didn't exist before, and he does it without destroying something else. --John Updike

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. --Stowkowski

There is no education like adversity. --Walt Disney

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was? --Satchel Paige

Pat: He was an Anglo-Irishman.
Meg: In the blessed name of God, what's that?
Pat: A Protestant with a horse.
--Brendan Behan

An administrator is a legless man who teaches running. --Anon

If you look at life one way, there is always cause for alarm. --Elizabeth Bowen

When the free market rules in the world of art, you don't get Beethoven and Bach, you get Beavis and Butthead. --Pieter Breitner

Don't be afraid to be amazing. --Andy Offute Irwin

We are each other's angels; we meet when it is time. --Chuck Brodsky

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority. --Thomas Henry Huxley

It does not require many words to speak the truth. --Chief Joseph

In seeking truth, you have to get both sides of a story. --Walter Cronkite

The teenagers aren't all bad. I love'em if nobody else does. there ain't nothing wrong with young people. Jus' quit lyin' to 'em. --Jackie "Moms" Mabley

I do love a good quotation! Did you know?





Digg!
Posted by Mamacita (The REAL one) @ 2:49 PM | |

>




I am Mamacita. Accept no substitutes! Hitting the fan like no one else can. . .
I'm Speaking at BlogHer 08 Archives Links

My Classical Blogroll

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Mamacita3855. Make your own badge here.


Credits Powered by Blogger

Designed by Swank Web Style
< <






Rings


Honors Blogrolling.com Hot 500

















Etc.


Lijit Search/a> < BlogHer.org Logo





FBorFW.com





Listed Subscribe with Bloglines

View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
BlogMad!





Listed on BlogShares

BlogBurst.com

DIARIST.NET Registered!


Technorati Tags:

Technorati search





Free Hit Counter

google2413ae3f872b0ce0.html