<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 07, 2005

Sex is sex.

The excuses for being absent are a little bit different at the college level. . . . .

This fall, I have four students who will be missing class for a few weeks because they are having hysterectomies. I told them I would scan all the tests and homework, and put them on our class website links.

Some things never change, though. I had a student who missed a week of class because she had her tonsils out. Now, THAT one I've heard a lot!

Tonight's giggle: Chapter 20, Pronouns.

"One of the women brought (her, their) own sack to the picnic."

Answer: "her." "Of the women" is a prepositional phrase and therefore cannot be the subject, so we put it in parenthesis and forget it, except as it gives sex to the pronoun which has the sack.

Antecedent: "One. It is singular, so the pronoun must be singular to match the antecedent."

Student comment: Is the woman giving sex to the pronoun or to the sack?

Student answer: Who cares? Sex is sex. I love this class.

Teacher: So do I.
Posted by Mamacita (The REAL one) @ 1:45 AM | |

>




I am Mamacita. Accept no substitutes! Hitting the fan like no one else can. . .
I'm Speaking at BlogHer 08 Archives Links

My Classical Blogroll

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Mamacita3855. Make your own badge here.


Credits Powered by Blogger

Designed by Swank Web Style
< <






Rings


Honors Blogrolling.com Hot 500

















Etc.


Lijit Search/a> < BlogHer.org Logo





FBorFW.com





Listed Subscribe with Bloglines

View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
BlogMad!





Listed on BlogShares

BlogBurst.com

DIARIST.NET Registered!


Technorati Tags:

Technorati search





Free Hit Counter

google2413ae3f872b0ce0.html