<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 08, 2004

I'm not worth the extra fifty cents anyway.

"All is forgiven, Darling please come home."

=========================================

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, (you young readers might have to look up that word in the dictionary) we have no money. So tonight when I stopped at the supermarket on my way home from class, and the Name Brand Cereal of my Dreams was on sale, I had to push my cart around the store several times before I mustered the nerve to pick a box of it up and contemplate buying it.

I felt guilty just touching it.

I felt even guiltier while standing there reading the box. It had a Name Brand on the cover. It had a Box Top that could be saved up and exchanged for toys and silverware. It featured a Real Person of Celebrity Status on the cover, apparently with the exact same tastes as MOI, chowing down on OUR favorite cereal. I was excited way out of proportion to the occasion. I fantasized about eating breakfast with the Real Person of Celebrity Status. I mean, having the same favorite cereal means we're soul mates right? And I know it's really his favorite cereal because he was PHOTOGRAPHED while eating it. They couldn't say it if it wasn't true.

I cased the joint like a hardened criminal before I dropped the box into my cart. What if I was seen, making a luxury purchase purely for myself, while my family would be dining on GenericKrispies, and NoNameFlakes, and StoreBrandCharms. But, but, but, I kept reminding myself, my cereal is on SALE. With the coupon, it would cost FIFTY CENTS more than the NoNameFlakes!

Was I or was I not, worth fifty cents?

I decided I was.

So I checked out and was sauntering guiltily-yet-merrily towards the exit, when I was accosted by a large display that said, "Show the True Christmas Spirit This Year: Give A Family A Christmas Meal."

Sigh.

Breakfast is a meal, right?

So I put the box of cereal in the bin.

A child deserves better than StoreBrandCharms for breakfast on Christmas morning.




Posted by Mamacita (The REAL one) @ 11:49 PM | |

>




I am Mamacita. Accept no substitutes! Hitting the fan like no one else can. . .
I'm Speaking at BlogHer 08 Archives Links

My Classical Blogroll

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Mamacita3855. Make your own badge here.


Credits Powered by Blogger

Designed by Swank Web Style
< <






Rings


Honors Blogrolling.com Hot 500

















Etc.


Lijit Search/a> < BlogHer.org Logo





FBorFW.com





Listed Subscribe with Bloglines

View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com

Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
BlogMad!





Listed on BlogShares

BlogBurst.com

DIARIST.NET Registered!


Technorati Tags:

Technorati search





Free Hit Counter

google2413ae3f872b0ce0.html